Fuzz B Store

Blue Fuzzy Slipper

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Just have to share this book....

Since I have twin sons that are Autistic, I have been racking my brain for information on how to help them and to figure out what is going on inside their minds.

Well, I just finished reading this AMAZING book called Look Me in the Eye, by John Elder Robison.

I must say, after reading this book, I have a much better understanding of my sons and what they are thinking when they do things. This man has going through a lot in his life and has seen so many things. The understanding from his point of view is completely different from how the rest of the world saw it. The reactions to situations weren't how "Normal" people would expect to react, but in his eyes were just as appropriate as anyone elses.

If I could ever meet Mr. Robison, the one thing I could say to him would be Thank You! He was told so many negative things when he was a child that a could have made him into something evil and distructive. But, he became a well rounded person, living with Asperger's. To him, Thank You for helping me to understand and relate to my sons on a whole new level. For opening up the eyes of the rest of the world that sees children like mine as "BAD" children. He has given our children a voice that people need to hear and understand.

In my opinion, I feel that ALL teachers should be made to read this book. This helps everyone understand that our children shouldn't be labled "BAD" kids. Maybe they just don't understand exactly what you are trying to convey to them. Be gentle, understanding and show compassion for the child that is "DIFFERENT" from all of the other children.

For parents, this is a MUST READ! It will help you understand that dispite the word "Autistic", they are still inside that little head, still feeling and listening to EVERYTHING going on around them. They just can't get everything out like everyone else. Trust me, all you have to do is just look at their face. You as a parent can see that they hear you. That they understand you. They just can't and don't respond the way any other child would.

There is always hope in LOVE! They are our very special gift from God. Be proud of your Autistic child and be their armor in this tough world that wants to push them down. You can do it!!!

Now, get this book and start reading to understand your child!

No comments:

Post a Comment